[K12OSN] LTSP Setup question.

Pete pvdw at criticalcontrol.com
Thu Oct 14 22:18:38 UTC 2004

Brad Bendily wrote:

>Hi,
>I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before, but I'm not
>really sure how to look up the question, so i thought I would start here
>and let you guys point me to some good articles or threads on the
>subject.
>
>I downloaded K-12LTSP and I have it installed and everything
>seems to be running fine. However, I would like to have the
>configuration be a little different than the default.
>
>I want my server to be setup with only 1 NIC and I'd like the workstations
>to remain on the public LAN.
>So I guess this means I would have to have my already existing DHCP
>server hand out the location of the LTSP tftp server?
>
>I'm not sure what else I would have to change. Is there any existing docs
>out there for this type of setup?
>
>Thanks
>Brad B

1. Make sure the DHCPD on the LTS is stopped and the service is NOT
started again after the next reboot. (On Fedora Core 1 run levels 3,4 & 5)
2. Tweak the setting of the DHCP server to accomodate your requirements.
    In the DHCP Service Config
    Add the 5 values listed below:
        Code    Option Name        Value(s)
        6    Domain Name Server    192.168.10.2
        17    Root Path        192.168.10.1:/opt/ltsp/i386
        28    Broadcast Address    192.168.10.255
        66    TFTP Server Name    192.168.10.1
        67    Boot File Name        /lts/vmlinuz.ltsp

(In our test environment the LTS box had IP 192.168.10.1 and the Novell
DHCP server was 192.168.10.2)

What bread is the existing DHCP server?
Novell other Linux or ...?

Peter

--

Any technology distinguishable from
foodoo-magic is insufficiently advanced.

Peter Van den Wildenbergh
Linux Administartor (& advocate)

CriticalControl Solutions Inc.
Bow Valley Square II