[K12OSN] TeacherTool

Liam Marshall lsrpm at mts.net
Fri Oct 15 13:19:04 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 07:54, Liam Marshall wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 14:16, cliebow at downeast.net wrote:
> > i'd bet eric harrison can make it work.....or Chris Johnson...chiuck

> > > I just discovered what is happening myself, although I don't understand
> > > why.
> > >
> > > I made each student's username their individual school provided unique
> > > student number.  (ie 04-111 for John Doe)  I did it that way to make it
> > > easy to create 600+ users from an exported file.  It had the advantage
> > > of being unique for everyone and easy for them to remember.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, Linux utilities do not seem to like usernames that begin
> > > with numbers.
> > >
> > > TeacherTool ignores users who's username does not begin with a letter.
> > > Bummer, Sh**t and other expletives!  I shot myself in the foot.  I made
> > > my life easy at the beginning of the year now I can't use TeacherTool
> > > because of it!!!
> > >
> > > Unless someone knows how to correct this issue?
> > >
> > > Please
> > >

> I would love it if someone could modify it for me, if possible.  the
> idea of using student numbers for their usernames is just too tempting
> to pass up.  I would dearly love for TeacherTool to troll for usernames
> beginning with numbers as well as letters

If there is a quick fix for getting teachertool to pull usernames that
start with numbers( well, the whole thing is a number, actually) I would
really appreciate it.  For this year I do not see a convenient way to
change 600+ usernames to include an alpha at the beginning.  I mean I
know I could do it with a batch script physically, but it is the
relearning for the kids that I do not want to deal with