[K12OSN] books (off topic maybe)

Martin Woolley sysadmin at handsworth.bham.sch.uk
Fri Oct 15 13:39:01 UTC 2004

On Friday 15 Oct 2004 12:51 pm, Mark Gumprecht wrote:
> I, for one, am new to linux and basically have enough knowledge to be
> dangerous. I've jumped in by using only linux on my work machine, no
> matter how long it takes to figure it out. Are there any really good
> books to help out newbies? I have checked out many, but they seem to be
> either to general or to in depth. Can the masters of this list suggest
> books that would better the community's knowledge?

A general linux book is a jolly fine investment, the fatter the better.
I have The Complete Reference: Linux Fourth Edition by Richard Peterson
published by Osborne ISBN 0-07-212940-9, which covers RH7 (amongst others)
and includes in it a RH7 CD (only one though).  You could have trouble
getting a copy, as I suspect it is now out of print.  Computer books never
hang around for long; of course he may have written a new edition.  I've
found this book very useful; I wish we had a similar textbook when I first
started in Unix back in 1990, rather than having to rely on the man command.
A very good website is The Linux Documentation Project at http://www.tldp.org/
The magazine Linux Format sometimes has a complete mirror on the cover DVD.
--
Regards
Martin Woolley

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify postmaster at bgfl.org

The views expressed within this email are those of the
individual, and not necessarily those of the organisation