[K12OSN] e1000 client nic problem

dale dalen at czexan.net
Fri Oct 15 22:17:48 UTC 2004

Hello,
	I am setting up a k12ltsp 4.1.1 server and a few clients at home with
an 8 port Gb switch.  I have an nforce based client with builtin 100Mb
nic.  I added an intel 82546 1Gb nic to net boot the client.  When it
tries to boot, it errors out using forcedeth module (says something
about changing option 129 in /etc/dhcpd.conf).  I suspect the boot
process sees the nforce nic and assumes I want to boot from it rather
than the intel nic.  I modified /etc/dhcpd.conf on the server, changing
the mac address for ws001 and option 129 to e1000.  Now when it tries to
boot, it says something about too big (It flashes by fast) and then goes
to a cannot boot screen.  tail -f /var/log/messages only shows tftp
client does not accept options

/etc/dhcpd.conf mentions setting run_dhcpd=1 in /etc/init.d/dhcpd but I
did not see any reference to run_dhcpd in /etc/init.d/dhcpd so I ignored
this.

Does anyone have advice to what I should try next?

Thanks,

Dale Sykora