[K12OSN] "USB Key Thing"

Debbie Schiel debbie at redeemer.qld.edu.au
Sun Oct 17 06:21:39 UTC 2004

Samps wrote:

> Debbie,
>
> I would really, really, REALLY like to see a write-up on how you did the
> USB key thing...  If you have the time to pin it out, that is. Please...

Hi Samps,

I can't guarantee this'll work for you because every setup seems to be
different but it's worth a try.

Add the following line to the file /etc/fstab

/dev/sda /mnt/usb vfat defaults,noauto,users,sync,umask=0022 0 0

Make sure you have a directory in /mnt called 'usb' and change the
permissions on it so everyone can read & write (I don't know if that's
the correct thing to do but I did it anyway). This worked for me on my
laptop & a PIII running K12ltsp 4.1.0.

see - http://tlug.up.ac.za/csslug/usb_devices.html for more help

and - http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/Technical%3AStorage%3AUSB

and search the K12OSN for "USB mount error - not a valid block device".
Calvin Dodge via k12osn gave some good advice which helped sort out my
USB probs.

Hope you get it sorted out. I know it can get frustrating but, in the
short time I've been using K12ltsp, I also know that perseverance pays.

Best regards,

Debbie

--
http://www.redeemer.qld.edu.au/