[K12OSN] my laptop in the lab

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Oct 18 17:40:08 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 09:47, Liam Marshall wrote:

> Is it possible to connect my Core 1 installation to the LTSP server and
> access the "shares" on it?  Then I would not connect via LTSP but
> through that other way and still be able to show a screen to the kids
> similar to what they are looking at, and get files that I can "take
> home" on my local hard drive.
>
> opinions?  Advice?

One way would be to configure the laptop to boot standalone in text
mode.  Then, instead of network-booting and becoming a thin client
you can type 'X -query server' to get the graphical login to the
lab server where everything will work the same as before.  However,
from a terminal window you can ssh back to the laptop and run programs
there.  If you run evolution (or your normal mail client) that way,
it will store the files on the laptop instead of the server.
After you log out of the thin client session you may have to kill
the X session with ctl-alt-backspace to stop the cycle of login screens
and use 'startx' if you want to run a local desktop session.

Alternatively, you can run your normal laptop X desktop but ssh to
the server to start certain programs that you prefer to run there.
However you won't get exactly the same menus and window manager as
the other thin clients that way.

---
   Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com