[K12OSN] Woe is me: Onboard SCSI/RAID Controller

Debbie Schiel debbie at redeemer.qld.edu.au
Tue Oct 19 09:33:51 UTC 2004

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> Quoting Debbie Schiel <debbie at redeemer.qld.edu.au>:
>
>>Hi Robert, That was very good news, very encouraging, and yes it did
>>help enormously.
>>
>>I tried installing K12ltsp 4.1.0 with no luck.
>>Then I tried 4.1.1 as suggested but same result.
>
> Wow that's surprising. I don't know why kernel 2.6.5 would not work. 4.1.x
> should work out of the box.

It's probably something I did or overlooked. I will have another go at
it though after your comment.

>>I tried a 'linux dd' with the aic79xx driver from the Gibbs website -
>>nope. Then I tried 3.1.2 which you said you have no problems with and...
>
> Which version of k12ltsp did you try the dud disk with before 3.1.2?

I tried my original 4.1.0 and then the 4.1.1

>>SUCCESS, it installed! I must admit I also had a lot of over-the-phone
>>help from a contact down in ACT.
>
> Did you use the dud disk with 3.1.2?

No I didn't need it with 3.1.2. RH installed the driver all automatically.

>>However, now I have a version of K12 that I am unfamiliar with and I
>>can't connect it to the net, or to my demo clients, plus my fix for
>>adding a usb key (which worked on 4.1.0) doesn't work... *sigh*
>
> I don't know how to get usb devices working but connecting to the net should be
> completly automatic. Just make sure your network cables are plugged in correctly
> to the server (eth0/ eth1) and if you have a proxy server in the school make
> sure you put that info into the browser.

Yes - problems there - The hardware browser picks up only ONE network
card but I know there are two...

>>So on one hand I have a sooper dopper G700 with 3.1.2 and I'm not
>>getting anywhere with it (yet!); and on the other hand I have my demo
>>PIII with 4.1.0 that can support a couple clients but is as slow as...

Oh Update! Yesterday I had the test PIII server supporting 4 clients,
using just IceWM and Firefox, with no problems at all, for my teachers'
demo/workshop of our new web-based php reporting database (hand-coded by
yours truely!) I was sooooo pleased.

> Let me know how things go. I may still be able to help.

Thanks Robert. I think it's fantastic that everyone has so much advice
and expertize to offer and does so gladly.
We will be flying a Redhat/School Networks guru (aka Damien Clarke) up
from Canberra (miles away and in another state!) next month to help us
out for a couple days. Then I think I should do some formal training,
and THEN... start spreading the 'gospel' of K12LTSP (because it is
really good news!)

Best regards,

Debbie

--