[K12OSN] OT building to building ethernet wiring

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Tue Oct 19 14:52:22 UTC 2004

Dale,

I had a really bad experience with cabling between buildings.

We used "direct buriable cabling", and ran it under-ground, for about 50
feet.

Everytime there was a thunderstorm in the area, they'd lose some piece
of equipment.  Seemed like a lightening strike anywhere in the city
would fry something.

That was about 15 years ago, when fiber was an extremely expensive
option, and wireless didn't exist.

Maybe it would be different in conduit.  I dunno.

I'd suggest thinking seriously about fiber or wireless.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org