[K12OSN] OT building to building ethernet wiring

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Oct 19 15:29:19 UTC 2004

> Hello,
> 	I wanted to get a wiring opinion from the list.  I need
> to extend a
> network from a school office to a few adjacent buildings.
> Each building
> will have 5 or less workstations or LTS clients.  The lengths
> are less
> than 30m.  I am considering running cat5e/6 thru metal conduit -vs-
> fiber.  I am concerned with ground potential between
> buildings and cable
> loss etc -vs- cat2fiber and fiber2cat costs.  Can I try it
> with cat, or
> should I just use fiber?

I assume cost is an issue or this would be a no brainer (fiber).  Since
you are concerned about cost I believe the proper way would be to run
this inside a conduit (I think the standard is #80 plastic) with
Shielded Twisted Pair cable and ground the cable on both ends (to a
standard electrical ground, not the patch panel).  This should help
prevent noise problems and electrical surges.  But if you have the money
definitely go fiber, and pull it in a separate conduit to avoid future
damage when other cables are pulled between buildings.  This will also
give you room to grow bandwidth wise in the future since fiber is
virtually unlimited in its potential.

---