[K12OSN] OT building to building ethernet wiring

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Tue Oct 19 15:31:08 UTC 2004

If you use fiber, be sure to run it through a conduit, just to prevent an errant
shovel from ruining your day in the future.  Also, be sure you bury a wire or
some sort of metal with the fiber so that you can find it again in a few years.
  I buried a fiber cable some years ago, and it was such a short run we thought
there was no need for a tracer.  Then the local power company decided they
wanted to change some of their runs, a side effect being they wanted to go right
across where the fiber line was and they needed to know where to not dig.
Fortunately, we had used a plastic conduit for the fiber, mostly to avoid the
afore mentioned errant shovel, and were able to push a copper ground wire
through the conduit to help us locate it then and in the future.

Petre