[K12OSN] OT building to building ethernet wiring

Jim Hays haysja at sages.us
Tue Oct 19 18:57:08 UTC 2004

Cat 5 in conduit is not fine, unless you like buying new switches on
each end every time there is a thunderstorm.  You simply can't run
copper between buildings unless you are quite sure that the cables are
properly grounded and the equipment on each end is as well.  You will
actually save money (and innumerable headaches) by running fiber (or
using wireless).

To paraphrase what someone else wrote earlier, "Do NOT run copper
between buildings!!".