[K12OSN] Re: K12OSN Digest, Vol 8, Issue 62

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Tue Oct 19 23:16:39 UTC 2004

Roger Morris wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:22:14 -0700 (PDT), David Tisdell
><penguintiz at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Jim,
>>If you followed Terrell's proposal, you would be
>>supernetting a class c address range. I have never
>>done that but it probably works fine. Personally, I
>>would select an address range in the private class a
>>or b ranges (10.x.x.x for class a and 172.16.0.0 -
>>172.31.255.255 for class b)The subnet mask for class a
>>

>Well, it is CIDR isn't it?  'classless'
>I would pick one in the 172 for a different reason.  That reason being
>just about every device out there that does NAT out of the box, likes
>to use 192.168.0.x
>Just wait til a user brings a hub from home and plugs it in and starts
>handing out DHCP.
>Roger

I agree.  Just make sure that your routers speak CIDR (with ciscos, this
is now the default), and you're good to go.  What we used to call
supernetting works fine w/ GNU/Linux and, therefore, LTSP.

I've also used subnets of 10. and 172.16 with success as well.  Note,
though, that cisco wireless access points (not the Linksys models, I
mean the actual Cisco-branded W.A.P.'s) use 10.0.0.x/24 by default.

--TP