[K12OSN] kernel update resolves security vuln.

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Oct 20 05:39:36 UTC 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Robert Arkiletian wrote:

>a new kernel 2.4.20-37.9 for k12ltsp 3.1.2 (RH9) was just released with
>security updates
>
>http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-legacy-announce/2004-October/msg00016.html
>
>Can I update with yum or rpm and still boot without other problems?
>Will the new kernel be selectable at boot like the other bigmem, smp
>kernels?

Yes, you can run "yum install kernel" to install the errata kernel.

When you reboot, you will have the option to boot from the new kernel
or any of the older kernels you may have installed.

>Also, when I installed the OS I used a DUD (Driver Update Disk) for my
>Adaptec SCSI controller to load a module for it. Wondering if that will
>be used by the new kernel?

I'm not sure on this one. It will *probably* work, but it does not you
can always reboot and select the current working kernel from the grub
boot menu.

Of course it is always a really, really good idea to have current,
known good backups....

-Eric