[K12OSN] Squid & Content filtering

Tim Kaldahl tkaldahl at maplewoodacademy.org
Wed Oct 20 19:39:08 UTC 2004

<snip>
-----Original Message-----
From: k12osn-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:k12osn-bounces at redhat.com]On
Behalf Of Will Hatch
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 2:13 PM
To: Support list for opensource software in schools.
Subject: Re: Re: [K12OSN] Squid & Content filtering

Ditto to your post Rita.  I have Ipcop and Dansguardian going here at our
school.  I have not however, been able to tweak the settings.  I have
teachers who can't check email.  If you figure out how to let certain users
through the filter, let me know.  Thanks!  -Will

</snip>

I am using IPcop with Dan's Gaurdian as well. I have set up the teachers
with IP address reservations and then (I am using win2k for dhcp) and then
used WinSCP3 to edit the /etc/dansguardian/exceptioniplist file to allow
those IP addresses to not be filtered. Each teacher is then informed that
they are responsible for not letting students use their computer unless
under direct supervision. The downside of this is when teachers find a great
site, but then IPCop won't let the students through.

Gavin Spurgeon's Addonz have been a great tool too. I believe the links to
WinSCP and Putty can be found on his site. (I'm too lazy to dig them up
right now)

HTH

Tim Kaldahl
Maplewood Academy
IT Coordinator

IT Coordinator (noun): When somebody else needs something done on the
computer, the IT Coordinator is expected to do IT.