[K12OSN] A Mail Set up book

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Oct 21 14:24:09 UTC 2004

> Hi,
> does anyone know where I could find a good how to setup email
> for the server pop3 or http or both for a beginner. Regards,

I will type you my makeshift tutorial for myself below.  It will have
three sections, one for setting up Postfix, one for MailMan for mailing
lists (if you need them), and the other for installing openwebmail (if
you too are unhappy with Squirrelmail).  The first section will be a
link to an excellent tutorial on Postfix (not written by me).  Read it
carefully and carefully again.  If you follow the directions to a tee
you will not have any issues.  This is also broken down into sections,
Section 1 installs Postfix, section 2 installs Squirrelmail, section 3
installs MailScanner w/SpamAssassin and ClamAV (choose Option 2 in this
section, gives me less trouble), and the last step 4 I skipped because I
really don't like Squirrelmail all that much so I don't care to add a
MySQL backend for Address Books and prefs.  I just installed it in step
2 for testing purposes and then I install OpenWebmail later.  The
install looks intimidating at first but it is an excellent step by step
and should really only take a couple of hours.  So here is my notes:

Section 1 - Install Postfix w/MailScanner,SpamAssasin, and ClamAV Follow
instructions at
http://www.linuxhelp.ca/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=3647
Note: If there is trouble installing via MCPAN run the following from
the command line #export LANG=US

Section 2 - Setup MailMan mailing list manager
www.list.org is the MailMan homepage
Download mailman-2.1.5.tgz
Unpack with #tar -zxvf mailman-2.1.5.tgz
Open INSTALL file and follow directions
Configure with the following options:
#./configure --with-mail-gid=nobody --with-cgi-gid=apache
After install follow POSTFIX.README for integration with postfix Add
newlists with the #/usr/local/mailman/bin/newlist listname Modify lists
with http://your.domain/mailman/admin/listname

Section 3 - Install OpenWebmail (because it has a built in Calendar,
looks better, more options, etc) Download current packages: my install
used the following perl-CGI-2.81-88.4.i386.rpm
perl-Compress-Zlib-1.21-RH9.i386.rpm
perl-perl-suidper-5.8.0-88.i386.rpm
perl-Text-lconv-1.2-RH80.i386.rpm
Openwebmail-2.32-1.i386.rpm
Install the above packages with #rpm -Uvh packagename
Run /var/www/cgi-bin/openwebmail/etc/openwebmail-tool.pl --init And make
suggested changes, then rerun Modify
/var/www/cgi-bin/openwebmail/etc/openwebmail.conf
domainnames yourdomain.com
Access the finished product with
http://yourdomain/cgi-bin/openwebmail/openwebmail.pl

I set up a redirect page in my Apache that takes mail.yourdomain.com and
redirects it to the long winded link.  Let me know if you want the the
simple html file that does this.

Again these are not the type of tutorials that you want to skim through
once and hope it works.  There are comments and links to other files and
stuff that you need to follow to a tee for it to work.  But as long as
you take your time and read carefully it should be very simple.  Also I
install this on WBEL 3.0.1 (WhiteBox Enterprise).  But I think
everything above is fairly platform independent so you shouldn't have
trouble with Fedora.

Good luck

---