[K12OSN] #$%@$Student hotmail not working

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Oct 21 15:15:07 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 09:53, Jim Christiansen wrote:
> Thank you to everyone who has given me help with the Hotmail troubles and
> installing a student mail system.  Evidently we were not the only school in
> this region to have had sporadic hotmail access a couple of days ago.  What
> it did show us though is that we have so much to gain by providing our own
> mail system, I really ought to figure out how to get one going!

If you have all your accounts on one box, email is already there.  All
you have to do is configure sendmail to receive from the network (it is
intentionally broken in that respect by default) and set up an MX
record in DNS pointing to your server.  Realistically though, if you
are going to receive inbound email you'll want to install spam and
virus filtering. MimeDefang/spamassassin/clamav are free and work
together with sendmail.  There are other solutions if you aren't using
sendmail.

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com