[K12OSN] Woe is me: Onboard SCSI/RAID Controller

Debbie Schiel debbie at redeemer.qld.edu.au
Sat Oct 23 04:42:50 UTC 2004

Hi Robert,

I have installed 4.0.1 now. You said it had fedora core 1 and the
correct drivers and you were right, it all works. Plus I've booted a
client off it and I'm happy about that.

I did 'ifconfig' and it brought up eth0 and loopback but no eth1.
Then i tried 'lspci' and it brought up a whole heap of stuff that I
can't make sense of.

In Hardware browser under network devices it just lists the gigabit
ethernet, nothing else.

In the G700 handbook the diagrams show one RDM LAN port (10mbps) and one
Gigabit LAN port (10/100/1000 Mbps)... eth1 is supposed to be 10/100
isn't it not just 10? So is that where the problem lies? Not impressed
with G700 if that's the case - I asked for a server with two nics ready
to go...

Do I have to install another network card into the server to get my eth1?

Thanks,

Debbie

Robert Arkiletian wrote:

 > Debbie Schiel wrote:
 >

 >>> Which version of k12ltsp did you try the dud disk with before 3.1.2?
 >>>

 >> I tried my original 4.1.0 and then the 4.1.1
 >

 > I just checked Mr. Gibbs site.
 > http://people.freebsd.org/~gibbs/linux/DUD/aic79xx/
 > He has DUD disks for the following distros
 >
 > rh Redhat
 > rhel Redhat Enterprise Linux
 > sl SUSE linux
 > sles SUSE linux enterprise server
 > ul United linux (i think)
 >
 > I don't see any for Fedora Core so I'm not surprised the DUD did not
work.

 >>> Did you use the dud disk with 3.1.2?
 >>>

 >> No I didn't need it with 3.1.2. RH installed the driver all
automatically.

 > I hate to tell you this but the driver that comes with RH9 is old. It
may work but I am not using it. I read people had problems with it. I
used Mr. Gibbs DUD disk for RH9 i686 with 3.1.2
 > I just did a search and I think even 4.0.1 (FC1) with kernel 2.4.22
should have it too. Check this out

 > http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/779
 >
 > search for aic79xx
 > So only 3.1.2 needs the DUD not because it won't work, but because
the driver is old. Try this

 > cat /proc/scsi/aic79xx/0
 >
 > to see what version you are using. If it's before 1.3.8 I think it's
too old. This is my guess, not my experience. I am using 1.3.11

 >> Yes - problems there - The hardware browser picks up only ONE
network card but I know there are two...

 > Hmm. try
 >
 > su -
 > # ifconfig -a
 >
 > or
 >
 > #lspci -vv
 >
 > to tell you about attached devices.  I know they will work with
Slackware. type
 > "man lspci" or "man ifconfig" if you want to know more about them.
 >
 >> Thanks Robert. I think it's fantastic that everyone has so much
advice and expertize to offer and does so gladly.

--
http://www.redeemer.qld.edu.au/