[K12OSN] HD boot-Format 1722kb floppy on Fedora Core 2

Les Bell lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Sat Oct 23 06:30:43 UTC 2004

Debbie Schiel <debbie at redeemer.qld.edu.au> wrote:

I used toms root boot, because these PCs don't have CDROMs, and then
took the rom floppy (it normally boots the client up fine so I know it's
the right one) and tried # cat /dev/fd0 /dev/hda ....
<<

I've never done that stuff myself, so take my advice with a pinch of
whatever. However, if you were trying to copy the contents of the floppy to
the hard drive, the command should be

cat /dev/fd0 > /dev/hda

and you shouldn't see any rubbish on the screen. You could also use the dd
command

dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/hda

See if that helps. . .

Best,