[K12OSN] updates: FTP vs HTTP

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Mon Oct 25 17:00:45 UTC 2004

Disabling out-bound FTP access seems to be en vogue. I've had
a few people recently contact me saying their district no longer
permits FTP and that they can no longer do updates.

If you find yourself in that situation, it is easy to change
the K12LTSP update repository configurations to use HTTP instead
of FTP. All you have to do is change the references to
ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us to http://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us
in the following files:

/etc/yum.conf
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/k12ltsp.list

note: /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources exists only in  K12LTSP 4.0 & newer

-Eric