[K12OSN] Purging ALL users

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Mon Oct 25 19:38:41 UTC 2004

I am having some users (the ones that use linux out of loyalty to me --
these are the folks I want to spoil!!) that have openoffice processes
that linger and never die.  I really want the feature that exists with
gdm to purge all user processes on login.  I start icewm directly from
the /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession file...  Is there a purge user script that I
could call before launching icewm?  I don't want to switch from my
vanilla xdm login window (because I've had a hard time limiting to only
icewm in 4.0.1 on kdm, and my users freak out if they don't have login
and password fields both on the same page, so gdm is out...)

And/Or -- is there a simple way to purge all current users processes
without killing needed system processes?  (ie, kill all users processes
without killing apache, or any of 100 other system needed things)  I
could always restart the server, but that seems so windowsy...  :)

Man, what a kludge of an email that was.  Here are my questions:

1) can the "purge user processes" script be called by xdm?
2) can kdm be configured to ONLY allow icewm in 4.0.1?
3) is there any way to kill ALL users processes without bunkfidarnaking
up the server and without rebooting?

Thanks a bunch all,
-Shawn

--