[K12OSN] rdesktop question

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Tue Oct 26 16:53:56 UTC 2004

I'm sure there is an rdesktop list, but I dont' belong to it, so bear
with me...

Does anyone run Windows 2003 terminal services and rdesktop into it?  I
have been on the phone with microsoft for 2 days about temporary
licensing and permanent TSCALs.

Finally, with no help from MS, I discovered that if I connect to the
terminal server with the -4 flag (using RDP v4) I get issued a permanent
license, but if I use the default -5 flag, I get issued a temporary,
which expires in 120 days or so.  (my users started getting messages
about their licensing expiring...  thankfully EVERY one of them called
me to tell me...)

Is there a way to make a call to the rdesktop program use the -4 flag by
default system wide?  I know for a personal user, you can set an alias
in .bashrc, or .profile, or one of those files -- can the same be done
system wide?  If so, would it still be honored if the rdesktop program
is called from within another script?  Should I just wrap rdesktop into
a script that calls with with the -4 flag?

Also, what are the differences between RDP v4 and v5?  Will there be
other implications for me?

Thanks for any pointers,
-Shawn

--