[K12OSN] OT: Using tar on win98 clients

Henry Burroughs hburroughs at HHPREP.ORG
Tue Oct 26 19:51:49 UTC 2004

I know this is a bit off topic, but I'm doing the ever necessary task of
ghosting.  I would be using partimage (and I was), except some of the
hard disks are different sizes (and partimage doesn't support
shrinking).  I'm using a knoppix cd  (3.4 i think).

I'm trying tar (trying to keep it simple), and when I restore the image
onto a fresh drive, it still won't boot properly (I'm even using msdos
fdisk /mbr to reset the MBR).  So the MBR is in place, it just doesn't
want to load from there.  Any suggestions or hints?  THanks.

Basically, my requirements are a imaging program (or tar) that handles
restoring to smaller drives (of course, big enough for the actual data).

I've spent waaaay too much time trying to get this monster to work.

Henry