[K12OSN] Push Item to Desktop Problem

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Wed Oct 27 19:17:13 UTC 2004

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Wednesday, October 27, 2004 at 2:49 PM +0000 wrote:
>I believe the problem I am having Pushing Items to Desktops is related
>to the fact that the majority of my users home directories are NOT
>directly off of the Home directory.  Instead they are off of branches in
>the home directory
>
>ie:  /home/com30s/user1, /home/com30s/user2, etc
>ie:  /home/saps/user1, /home/saps/user2, etc
>
>I tried pushing icons to them and they only appear if their home
>directory is off of Home directly.  How could I push them to these other
>branches, if possible.  That would be much appreaciated.  Typing in long
>urls in 30 copies of the browser is not so hard for junior or senior
>high students but takes a prohibitavely long time for elementary
>grades.  An icon pointing to the site would be best, and pushing said
>icon to every desktop would be the best way of doing that
>
>Please Please help

Simple.....you'll need to edit the file
/usr/sbin/push-icons-to-users-desktops

You'll actually see a comment that pertains to your exact predicament near
the top....anyway...best practice would be to make copies of that file for
each different "branch" that way you preserve the original.  Change the
name....make the new file executable   (chmod a+x nameoffile )  and then
make a launcher for it on the desktop? (not 100% sure on that last part)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us