[K12OSN] Off-topic Ultrasparc in K12LTSP

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Thu Oct 28 13:29:10 UTC 2004

Sun boxes, by default, listen for XDMCP requests; it's part of their "the
network is the computer" philosophy, in that they make it so you can log into
any machine on the network no matter which machine you sit down in front of
(assuming the machines are all Suns).  In the case of your LTSP clients, they
already had the kernel and X loaded, so when your LTSP server went down, they
just rebroadcast for another server to connect to, similar to when a user logs
out of the client and X resets and then gets the login screen for the LTSP
server.  I suspect that any clients that weren't already booted would not come
up in this situation because there was no server to provide a kernel, etc.

You may have had 20 workstations at a login screen, but how many were then
actually logged in and running apps?  A UltraSparc 1 would give you OpenWindows
and perhaps Common Desktop Environment (CDE) for choices of desktops, both of
which consume a lot less memory than KDE or Gnome; I suspect CDE consumes more
than IceWM, but OpenWindows will beat them all in consuming the least amount of
resources--it's also the most barebones environment.  Try logging in on a bunch
of the clients and run a few apps;  I suspect it will keep up for a bit, but
soon will start swapping.

Petre