[K12OSN] Definitive guide to editing gnome menus?

Pete pvdw at criticalcontrol.com
Thu Oct 28 18:47:59 UTC 2004

Debbie Schiel wrote:

> Hi Bimal, and thanks for your tips. I gave them a go (step by step, no
> errors produced) but they have had no effect.
> You say that it works for redhat linux 9.0 with gnome2.
> I am using Fedora Core 2 with whatever came as default with k12ltsp
> 4.1.0 - is that the same as your setup? If it is then I must be doing
> something wrong and I will try it again, otherwise it means that this
> method doesn't work with K12ltsp 4.1.0.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Debbie

AFAIK gnome menu editing is broke in gnome 2.6 (2.4 LTSP 4.0 works I did
it!)
I tried the same with gnome 2.6 but NO joy :-(

I ended up by giving everybody the same restricted menu except when they
belong to 'root' group.
The 'stupid' but effective thing I did...
making the .desktop files NOT readable by others
.desktop files can be found in /usr/share/applications (and other dir.)

Pete