[K12OSN] Recommended Server for 25 terminals on K12LTSP 4

Calvin Park linuxsys at davisny.edu
Thu Oct 28 18:49:27 UTC 2004

Wayne, quite a few others have already responded to your question, but
I'll go ahead and throw my two cents in...

We currently have a lab with 20 machines in it. Primarily the lab is
used for word procession (OO.o) and web browsing (Firefox) as well as
some instant messaging (GAIM). Here's our configuration:

AMD Athlon 2800
2 Gigs RAM
30 GB HDD
2 100Mbps NICs

In about two months we'll be upgrading the HDD to 80GB on a RAID. At
anyrate...normally not all 20 machines are in use at a time. But one
evening we had about 17 in active use (12 of these had OO.o, several
instances of Firefox, and one instance of GAIM running. The other 5 were
running only Firefox and GAIM). Everything went fine and the SWAP wasn't
touched, even with the relatively heavy usage. Keep in mind though not
all 17 people logged in at the same time. However, we had no problems
when anyone tried to run an application. No complaints at all.

-Calvin