[K12OSN] Gigabit headach

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Wed Sep 1 00:15:28 UTC 2004

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
writes:
>Another option is to run some fiber links and get some mini-GBIC modules
>from Amer.com.  I've used their fiber modules with success, so I know
>they work.  This afternoon, I also did a 1000BaseT (i. e. copper)
>connection from a spare SR48G2i switch to my Catalyst 3550 and pumped
>about 600Mb of traffic across it w/ no errors (multiple ISO image FTP
>transfer), so now I _know_ that 1000BaseT on those switches does indeed
>work.  Unless you need GVRP support (you'll know if you do), you made a
>good purchase.

I agree...I'm using all Amer.com stuff and I'm having a great time!  :-)
I will say that I came across the very first bad gig switch from Amer
about a week ago.  It wasn't mine and I'm not totally convinced it wasn't
my own fault....but "lifetime warranty"....sent it back no questions asked
and they sent a new one right away!  :-)  Can you move the switch back to
the server and run a short length test just to rule out whether it's the
switch?  My guess is you have WAY TOO LONG of a run....and possibly not
the greatest conditions in that run.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School