[K12OSN] NEW HOWTO - Make Icons Appear on Desktops on a Per Group Basis

Gavin Spurgeon gsp at leighctc.kent.sch.uk
Wed Sep 1 22:51:39 UTC 2004

Hi List....

Yup, here is another one of my HOWTOz & a little about it...

You can find the HOWTO @ http://k12ltsp.howtoz.net/ and look
down on the left hand side of the page for the Managing Desktop Icons per
Group
link... Here is a description of the HOWTO...

This HOWTO was conceived after a need for certain Desktop Icons
to appear for users in a certain group, For example I have a desktop
icon for resetting users passwords. Now as I'm sure you can guess,
I only want this on the desktop of users in the IS Department & not
every Joe's Desktop. I also have a Desktop Icon that our Maths
Department Staff need to use... Again not every Joe needs this app,
so the script I made up below will check if the logging on user is a member
of a certain group, if so make the Icon appear on the users Desktop,
But if they are Not a member of the group, make sure the Icon is Not
on the users Desktop.

Best Regards

Gavin Spurgeon
Assistant Systems Administrator