[K12OSN] any NX plans for K12LTSP?

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Thu Sep 2 03:08:46 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 06:10:32PM -0400, David Trask wrote:
> "Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
> Wednesday, September 01, 2004 at 12:45 AM +0000 wrote:
> > run rdesktop
> >   as a session
>
> Hi Jim!
>
> Can you expand on this a little?  I'm just getting started with playing
> around with Windows Terminal Server 2003 in my K12LTSP
> environment....works fine except for some things I need to figure out.
> I'm curious though as to how you accomplish the seperate session thing.

David,

With ltsp-4.1, you can setup a session to just run rdesktop.

Try setting:

     SCREEN_01 = rdesktop [options] server_address

Notice that you can set any rdesktop options that you want right
on that line, and the last thing should be the address of
your windows server.  I think the address can either be a name or ip.

When you do this, and boot the thin client, it will go directly to
a windows server, and give you a login prompt from that server.

No X window manager, no Linux login, all they would see is a windows
login.

It's very handy for giving people access to their windows servers.

So basically, you'd be using LTSP to act as a Windows Based Terminal
(WBT).

It's better than a WBT, because you can run multiple instances of
rdesktop.

For instance, you could do this:

    SCREEN_01 = rdesktop server_address
    SCREEN_02 = rdesktop server_address

That will give you two sessions into your windows server (or sessions
into different windows servers, if you specify different addresses).

You can flip between the sessions by hitting Ctrl-Alt-F1 and
Ctrl-Alt-F2.

But wait, there's more.......

You can also have multiple X sessions, the same way:

     SCREEN_01 = startx
     SCREEN_02 = startx

And, you can mix-n-match them:

     SCREEN_01 = rdesktop server_address
     SCREEN_02 = startx

This will give you both an rdesktop session and an X session that you
could hot-key between, using Ctrl-Alt-F1 and Ctrl-Alt-F2.

Does that help ?

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org