[K12OSN] Dittos to Loading vmlinuz.ltsp

Dave Prentice prentice at instruction.com
Fri Sep 3 06:34:38 UTC 2004

Hello all,
    I haven't been on this list for several years. I tried a few years
ago unsuccessfully to set up an older version of  K12LTSP. I just
re-tried loading K12ltsp, version 4.0.1. The server works fine, as do
two clients, a Dell and a 200 mhz Compaq (don't remember what type,
but it's not a Prolinea).
    I have a boatload of Compaq Prolineas and IBM 350s that I want to
hook up, but none of them will boot. The Compaqs start loading the
kernel and then give a "kernel panic" saying they need a root path.
(It is already specified in /etc/dhcpd.conf.) The IBMs do just the
same thing Ben May describes in his "Loading vmlinuz.ltsp" thread -
they act as if they're loading but never finish.
    Does anybody know why some types of machine boot up and run just
fine, while these IBMs and Compaqs hang up?
Thanks,
Dave Prentice
prentice at instruction.com
http://www.originsresource.org