[K12OSN] Broadcom 440x

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sun Sep 5 13:49:52 UTC 2004

Actually, LTSP itself has no kernel, nor does LTSP itself care which
kind of NIC you're using on your server.  LTSP is, like OpenOffice.org
or Mozilla, an application that runs on top of an existing operating
system, in this case, GNU/Linux.  It is the Linux kernel for which you
would do this, because device drivers run in kernel, i. e. "Ring 0" mode.

You may wish to take a visit over to http://www.kernel.org/ to get a bit
more information about what's being talked about here.  That's how I
learned how to rebuild kernels back when I was still a Windows NT admin;
it was actually quite helpful.  I would also suggest
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html, which, while somewhat
politically biased, does provide a good explanation, "in English," how
kernels relate to the entire OS.  This might help clear up what is being
suggested below.

--TP