[K12OSN] Dansguardian and squid wont play together

goblin at scooter.co.nz goblin at scooter.co.nz
Mon Sep 6 22:01:27 UTC 2004

Mark Cockrell wrote:

 > I'm not entirely certain about this, but I think that DG by default
 > listens on port 8080.  If you're rerouting to port 3128, then I think
 > you're skipping DG altogether.  Try rerouting from 80 to 8080 and see
 > what happens.

Yeah thats exactly right...
You set Squid to listen on (localhost only) port 3128... DG will talk to
squid via 3128 but DG itself will listen on 8080.

 From your conf file
# the port that DansGuardian listens to.
filterport = 8080

# the ip of the proxy (default is the loopback - i.e. this server)
proxyip = 127.0.0.1

# the port DansGuardian connects to proxy on
proxyport = 3128

All requests are then answered by DansGuardian.... DG should be the only
thing able to talk to squid or your filtering can be easily bypassed by
connecting to squid directly.

(Internet)-->{(squid:3128)-->(DansGuardian:8080)}<:80-->(Clients)

so yeah redirect to port 8080 and if it's still not working we will need
to have a look at your squid.conf file.

Regards

John