[K12OSN] Outside access to K12ltsp intermittently cut off

Duane Wilson aaa at pacifier.com
Tue Sep 7 19:48:08 UTC 2004

This may not be the right forum for this question.  If anyone can think
of a better place to ask this question feel free to advise.

I use ssh remotely to administer a K12ltsp system

Sometimes I can ssh in,  sometimes I get no response with ssh or ping to
that address.  An hour or two later it works without any intervention.

My firewall/router/squid/dansguardian box is an older Compac proliant G2
 server with 2 nics.  One nic faces my ISP with a static IP address.
 The other nic faces my K12ltsp server.
  The firewall box is running shorewall for my iptables rules generator.

Wierd thing is that even when it won't respond to anything from outside
it still works fine for internet access from inside!

I have been fighting this problem for a year.  It happened with K12ltsp
4.0 and continues with a fresh install of 4.1

I have asked local linux gurus and gotten nothing more than scratching
heads and blank looks.

Anyone have any idea what I might try to diagnose this?

Thanks,

Duane Wilson