[K12OSN] NFS /home options

Jim Hays haysja at sages.us
Wed Sep 8 00:53:54 UTC 2004

Here is an explanation of the last two fields that I found:

------------------------
The fifth field (0) is used by dump (a backup utility) to decide if a filesystem
should be backed up. If zero then dump will ignore that filesystem. The sixth
field (0) is used by fsck (the filesystem check utility) to determine the order
in which filesystems should be checked.
If zero then fsck won't check the filesystem.
(as the example line above is a cdrom there is very little point in doing a fsck
on it, so the value is zero).
--------------------------

Quoting David Trask <dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us>:

> I'm no expert...I'm simply passing along what I do and what someone
> recommended to me (possibly Eric?)
>
> 10.0.0.234:/home        /home                   nfs
> defaults,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 0 0
>
> Works for me....I export /home from my Samba/LDAP server.
>
> "Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
> writes:
> >As I'm using NFS extensively this year, I'm curious if anyone has advice
> >on what I should put at the end of my /etc/fstab lines... By that I mean,
> >here's my existing entry for mounting /home:
> >
> >192.168.33.1:/home      /home                   nfs     defaults        0
> >0
> >
> >I'm sure "0 0" is not what I should be using, but what on earth are
> >advantages/disadvantages to setting that different?
>

> David N. Trask
> Technology Teacher/Coordinator
> Vassalboro Community School
> dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us