[K12OSN] File Associations for All Users

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Wed Sep 8 17:36:10 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 12:17:44PM -0400, Jeff Kinz wrote:

> > > Mark:
> > >
> > > Did you ever get the answer to this? Yesterday I had a high school
> > > student trying to print a flyer that was a pdf -- GVC or some Gnome
> > > program opened the pdf and didn't allow us to request multiple copies,
> > > or change whether or not it printed in color or black and white. I
> > > wanted to try acroread, but ran into problems trying to save the
> > > web-based pdf and open it again. It was very frustrating for the
> > > student and me. By the end, all he wanted was a windows machine. :^(
> > > I looked at the file /etc/mime-types,  but that didn't seem to be what
> > > I thought. I didn't see that you received a response to this..... I'd
> > > like to set acroread as the default application for all pdf's, local
> > > or web-based. Everyone it seems is using pdf's for text documents now
> > > on the web.
> > >
> > > Rita Gibson
> > > RMSEL
> >
> > No, I didn't receive an answer on this list, nor have I been able to
> > find an answer anywhere else.  I know how to do it for each user
> > individually, but not for all of them at once.
> > --
>
> I believe this setting is konq specific.
>
> Mark - do you know what file gets modified for an individual user ?
>
> If so, the "locate" command can tell you where files with similar names
> exist on the system.  One of them may hold the "global default"
> settings.

The more I thought about the above response, the less I liked it, so....
I did a little research.  And hated what I found out even more.

http://www.kde.org/areas/sysadmin/config_file.php
http://www.kde.org/areas/sysadmin/config_file.php#cascading
http://www.kde.org/areas/sysadmin/fsh.php#dir_location

KDE config is a collection of files in multiple tree hierarchies
and each user has their own tree in addition to the system trees.
The contents of these hundreds of files are merged when KDE starts
up.

It seems that each application/mime-type gets its own file or files.

There is a system wide lock down mechanism
http://www.kde.org/areas/sysadmin/config_file.php#lock_down