[K12OSN] trouble with Compaq deskpro 5200mmx

Dave Prentice prentice at instruction.com
Sun Sep 12 04:26:09 UTC 2004

Hello all,
I have been working for months on my classroom network. It took weeks
to figure out how make the server work, then each client has given me
fits. I only have 2 working properly so far (each one took at least 6
hours to make work), and hope to get a third working. I hate spending
so much time on each machine!

    The one I'm trying to make work is a Compaq Deskpro 400, model
5200mmx. It connects to the server and boots up to a login screen OK,
but it's the wrong screeen resolution.
    It does not have onboard video but instead uses a PCI card. The
BIOS defaults to 640 x 480, and even though I have the server's config
file (ltsp.conf, if I remember right) set to default to 800x600, this
one still comes up as 640 x 480. I tried a different video card, a
Trident with 1meg of memory but it still comes up as 640 x 480. I
loaded the Compaq configuration program onto a hard drive but can't
find a way to force it to change resolution. Has anybody had a similar
problem? How do I fix it?

<rant>The advantage of LTSP is supposed to be that it works on old
hardware. How come people keep telling me I have to buy new video
cards with more RAM? That's defeating the purpose. </rant>
Thanks,
Dave Prentice
prentice at instruction.com