[K12OSN] Found Something! re: CPU usage 4.1

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Mon Sep 13 17:56:34 UTC 2004

I found something that seems to be speeding us up a LOT today!  Yesterday
I asked about how to stop icewmbg and icewmtray....well I found that in
the IceWM session  in /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions  that it loads
"icewm-session".  This essentially loads icewm plus all kinds
enhancements......I simply wnet back to the old way of invoking
icewm....remove the "icewm-session" and replace with "icewm".  I have yet
to notice anything different within IceWM...except that everything is
noticeably faster.  It freed up some CPU time as well....as that's 2
processes for each user that are no longer running.  I still have the
startup CPU usage issue where whenver we "mass start" a program it jumps
into the 90's, BUT....yesterday when I had icewm-session
running....loading OOwriter on 19 machines at once (using TeacherTool)
took 90 seconds...today...same scenario....only took 60 seconds....only
diff was I started icewm differently.  FYI.....YMMV

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us