[K12OSN] Found Something! re: CPU usage 4.1

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Tue Sep 14 01:19:50 UTC 2004

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
writes:
>This doesn't really effect me, because I have REALLY hacked the xdm
>stuff so that my users don't even see a choice -- but if you change that
>to icewm instead of icewm-session, things like the system tray icons
>don't work.  It's a really nice feature of icewm, for programs like
>gaim, etc. that use the system tray.

This could be true....we don't use any apps that use the system tray so I
wouldn't have noticed that.  It's a simple change though....in
/etc/X11/gdm/Sessions....my IceWM session reads like this....
########################

#!/bin/bash
xhost +10.0.15.253
if [ -f /etc/profile.d/ltsp-esound.sh ]
then
        . /etc/profile.d/ltsp-esound.sh
fi
/usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon &
/usr/bin/nautilus &
#exec /usr/bin/icewm-session
exec /usr/bin/icewm

#########################

You can see all I did was simply comment out the line that was there and
replaced it with the simpler one...that's all.  The IceWM site basically
says that if you don't want to start all that extra stuff....use "icewm"
instead of "icewm-session"

>The better way might be to keep icewm-session, and uninstall the
>optional icetray, etc.  I could be very wrong though -- perhaps someone
>could test keeping the icewm-session and uninstalling the icetray (and
>icebg if it's separate)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School