[K12OSN] freeNX and K12LTSP call for help. (long post)

Pete pvdw at criticalcontrol.com
Tue Sep 14 15:05:34 UTC 2004

Hi All :

I have read some posting on this list about freeNX and K12LTSP, however
nobody came up with a public available 'how-to' from scratch...
I don't mind spending a few days on this and putting a nice html together...

I have read "A Brief Look At NoMachine NX"
http://www.gnome.org/~markmc/a-look-at-nomachine-nx.html
The key docs at nomachine's Developers section
and some posts from the aKademy (KDE gathering in Germany) where they
showed off a Knoppix with freeNX/kNx.

 From what I have read (but not necc. understand) now, this will be the
steps to do :
Get sources (NX's 17 tar.gz files, the FreeNX server tar.gz and kNx for
KDE or nxclient that is included in FreeNX)
Install freeNX's dependencies if not already on the LTS.
Compile the NX sources on the LTSP server in /usr/NX
Put freeNX on top of that (anybody knows what a gentoo-nomachine.diff
does ?)
run nxsetup
and we are done (?)

The freeNX part scares me the most... from the very comprehensive
INSTALL ;-) :
<snip>
DEPENDENCIES
------------

It depends on:

- NX sources
- X11 libraries
- sshd
- expect
- netcat

NOTE
----

This tarball is intented mainly for distributions, which want to use
FreeNX as building the other OpenSource NX components is qui
te difficult.
In the following sections it is outlined how to install FreeNX as soon
as you've build all open source components.
HOWTO MANUALLY INSTALL
----------------------

You must apply the gentoo-nomachine.diff and then copy the files to
/usr/NX/bin and /usr/NX/lib.

You can use the following schema to do the install to /usr/NX/:

NXPREFIX=/usr/NX
mkdir -p ${NXPREFIX}/lib ${NXPREFIX}/bin
</snip>

Somebody willing to share documentation on how to get freeNX going (pref
on Fedora Core 2 / SuSE 9.1 pro or SLES 9) ?
Somebody wants to take a look at a screen script? Can we use pam for
authentication?
Anybody knows what the meaning is of :
You must apply the gentoo-nomachine.diff and then copy the files to
/usr/NX/bin and /usr/NX/lib.
and how to do this 'correctly' in non-gentoo distro's?

Thanks

Peter