[K12OSN] MailScanner Blacklist

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Sep 15 13:11:55 UTC 2004

> 		Ok, I do have one question. This is not going
> to adversely effect the existing incoming and outgoing mail
> is????? What I mean is, are we just creating another table
> for postfix to look in, or are we going to have to allow or
> disallow everyone starting from scratch???? Also I don't
> understand what this does. "hash:/etc/postfix.in/client_access"
> Guess I'm just scared and confused>>>>...

I wish I could say I understand it 100% as well but I can't.  But I do
know that this table will only be used as an exception list.  What I
mean is all mail from all IP's will process according to all other
rules, unless an IP is listed in this table, then whatever action is
specified will take place.  So in answer to your question NO, you will
not have to list every IP you want to accept mail from, only list the
handful you want to block.  As far as the
"hash:/etc/postfix.in/client_access", this just lets it know that the
specified file is a list of values to look through, the "hash" lets it
know how to break it up (explained to the best of my knowledge).  So
just make sure you follow the steps I listed and whatever is in the
client_access list will be the only IP's affected.

Does that make you feel any better?  I know I was still nervous :-)
Especially since I had to piece this together with the help of a few
tutorials.  Bright side is, all you have to do to turn it off is remove
the "hash:/etc/postfix.in/client_access" and restart MailScanner if
things go wrong.

---