[K12OSN] Personal web pages for students

Gavin Spurgeon gsp at leighctc.kent.sch.uk
Thu Sep 16 07:48:00 UTC 2004

Personal web pages for studentsHi Luke & All...

> The college I work for has asked that students have the ability to host
web content through personal web pages.  Although I am fairly new to Linux,
I have decided that a LAMP
> setup would provide this ability while staying within the budgetary
constraints (that is to say no money has been allocated to complete this
task!).
> I have two questions:
> 1) What permissions are required on the userdir directory?
> 2) How are other schools, colleges and universities dealing with this sort
of request?  In particular, how are your students uploading their files to
the server?  (FTP, WebDAV, etc.)

This is not really that hard...
The first place you might want to look is @ the Apache Projects Dos
about this @ http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_userdir.html#userdir

the rest can be done just by a user savin a file into a subdir of there Home
Dir....
as simple as that... no other extra stuff needed... then people access the
sites
by typing http://www.yoursite.com/~username and thats it....

Best Regards

Gavin Spurgeon