[K12OSN] Kinda OT - Imaging Macs

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Sep 16 15:08:54 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 21:28, Shawn Powers wrote:

> I'm not sure the ramifications for OSX, but since g4u does a bit by bit
> copy, the OS doesn't really matter.  Ironically, you have to use an
> intel machine to do the imaging!

If you are going to juggle disks and the drives are really identical
the simple-minded way to copy them is:
boot your k12ltsp install cd (or RH/fedora)
at the boot prompt enter 'linux rescue' .
Skip the network setup and mounting the existing system and
when you get a command prompt, enter:
dd if=/dev/source_disk of=/target_disk
where the names of the devices will depend on how they
are connected. This will do an exact image copy of the
whole drive. If the source has a fixed IP address you'll
have to boot the copies off the network while you change
it.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com