[K12OSN] USB memory problem

ERIC WORTHY eworthy at shaw.ca
Thu Sep 16 20:11:28 UTC 2004

I am trying you set up my 4.1 K12ltsp to work with a 256m usb flash memory device.

when I plug in the 'key', it is recognized and an entry is made in /etc/fstab to allow me to mount it.

Unfortunately the enty made in the table is /dev/sda1 but the device assigned to the 'key' is /dev/sda4 (from the system logs).

I have manually edited the fstab and then I can mount and unmount the device and read and write files to it. (it is formated for dos).

editing fstab and only be done by root and the entry is delete each time the device is unplugged.

This makes using the 'key' a pain for me and impossible for my users to use.

All the setting up and unsetting happens automagically through 'hotplug scripts'.  Does anyone know which scripts to modify to get the correct device to be entered into fstab.

excuse me if this has been dealt with before.  I did search the archives and found nothing pertienent.

Eric