[K12OSN] NFS thru firewall on FC2.

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Tue Sep 21 23:19:45 UTC 2004

Hmm...one of the problems is that NFS can pick any port above UDP 2049.
You use UDP 111 to head over to the portmapper service, yes, but then
portmapper takes over and maps the specific service (in this case, NFS)
over to some random UDP port per the above.

Fortunately, the port actually chosen by the portmapper for most NFS
daemons is UDP 2049.  Therefore, you could probably get away with
opening UDP 2049 and UDP 111 on the firewall.  If that doesn't work,
then try also opening TCP 2049 and TCP 111, since NFS these days can use
TCP as well.

Yes, I'm dyin' of curiosity:  how come you need to do this?  Not passing
judgment; you've simply got me wonderin'....

--TP