[K12OSN] NFS thru firewall on FC2.

Peter Van den Wildenbergh pvdw at criticalcontrol.com
Wed Sep 22 00:17:52 UTC 2004

>Hmm...one of the problems is that NFS can pick any port above UDP 2049.
>You use UDP 111 to head over to the portmapper service, yes, but then
>portmapper takes over and maps the specific service (in this case, NFS)
>over to some random UDP port per the above.

Thats why you need to change the startup scripts for those services.
http://www.lowth.com/LinWiz/nfs_help.html
Problem is that this how to is for RH7/8 and not FC2 and I don't know enough yet to 'translate' the how-to

>Yes, I'm dyin' of curiosity:  how come you need to do this?  Not passing
>judgment; you've simply got me wonderin'....

Just testing and trying to lock down the LTS as much as possible.
Trust nothing even not the kids that use it ;-)

Peter