[K12OSN] remote login

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Wed Sep 22 14:42:40 UTC 2004

With a few assumptions, 1) that you can ssh into the Ipcop box from
wherever you'll be doing your presentation; 2) that the VNC server is
running on the K12lstp box (which it is by default, but some take it out
if they have no use for it); you'll have a Linux box at the
demonstration site--I don't know if this can be done with a Windows
box.  With those things in place, you can do this:

 From the remote location (where you'll be standing when doing your
presentation) at a shell prompt, type

ssh -C -L 3700:k12lstpbox:5900 ipcopbox

where k12ltspbox is the name of the k12ltsp server (and ipcop knows the
address of that box--if not, use the address of the ltsp box), and
ipcopbox is the publicly accessible name or address of your school/ipcop
firewall.  This assumes that the ID you are using on the linux box at
the demo site is valid on the ipcop box; if not, add '-l valid_id' where
valid_id is a legit ID on the ipcop box.  Once that's connected, on the
linux box at the demo site, fire up vncviewer and point it at
localhost:3700, and you should get the LTSP login screen just as if you
were at the school and pointed vncviewer at the server.

What the above command does is creates a compressed (-C) tunnel in which
anything directed at port 3700 is sent to the ipcopbox which then
automatically directs the traffic to port 5900 (where vncserver listens)
on the K12ltspbox.

I use this regularly to securely connect to remote LTSP servers where I
need to actually see the desktop in action.  It can be a bit slow,
depending on the size of the pipes and the load on the ipcop box and the
ltsp server, but it's certainly usable, especially for a demo.  You
could even take, say, two or three laptops (borrow some and use knoppix
disks to get an instant linux client) to the demo site and have them all
doing this to really show off.  I'd test it beforehand though just to
make sure it doesn't bog down too much.

Petre