[K12OSN] Sound on terminals

Trond Ruud Maehlum trondrm at online.no
Thu Sep 23 07:31:23 UTC 2004

>> I did a quick try with sound on my terminals. The terminals are Dell
>> Optiplex PC's with PCI soundcard. I use K12LTSP 4.0.1, and haven't
>> changed anything in lts.conf. It looks like sound is enabled with Y and
>> nasd in the config file.
>>
>> Sound does not work. Not in KDE, not in Gnome and not in IceWM.
>>
>> When I try to stream webradio through xmms I get output plugin failure.
>> When I log on to KDE it says /dev/dsp does not exist.

>I have the same results, but today I found that the sound works for
>tuxmath and tuxtype.

Hmm. You're right. This happens here as well. So sound does work for some programs. Now, how to get it  working for other programs as welll?

I use a few educational programs in wine. Is it possible to play sounds through wine on terminals?

Also, I would like to get sound in xmms and mplayer as well.

Regards

Trond Mæhlum