[K12OSN] Sound on terminals

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Thu Sep 23 12:51:05 UTC 2004

Hi,

In my experience both with 3.12 and before as well as with my current
K12LTSP 4.1 sound does work, but not in KDE.  It is most likely to work in
IceWM as that's where many of us have concentrated our efforts.  Don't
even bother with sound in KDE...especially in a terminal environment.  KDE
uses ARTS and K12LTSP uses either esound or nasd.

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Thursday, September 23, 2004 at 3:31 AM +0000 wrote:
>>> I did a quick try with sound on my terminals. The terminals are Dell
>>> Optiplex PC's with PCI soundcard. I use K12LTSP 4.0.1, and haven't
>>> changed anything in lts.conf. It looks like sound is enabled with Y and
>>> nasd in the config file.
>>>
>>> Sound does not work. Not in KDE, not in Gnome and not in IceWM.
>>>
>>> When I try to stream webradio through xmms I get output plugin failure.
>>> When I log on to KDE it says /dev/dsp does not exist.
>
>>I have the same results, but today I found that the sound works for
>>tuxmath and tuxtype.
>
>Hmm. You're right. This happens here as well. So sound does work for some
>programs. Now, how to get it  working for other programs as welll?
>
>I use a few educational programs in wine. Is it possible to play sounds
>through wine on terminals?
>
>Also, I would like to get sound in xmms and mplayer as well.
>
>Regards
>
>Trond Mæhlum

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator