[K12OSN] Screen Magnifier for Gnome?

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at snet.net
Fri Sep 24 14:56:00 UTC 2004

dahopkins at comcast.net wrote:
> We have a student who is visually impaired.  Our counselor ordered ZoomText for our Windows systems, but I am at a loss for what to use on the Linux thin clients.   I have tried quax, which works, but only allows a very small section of the screen (less than one word in some cases). Not a good combination.  I tried kmag, which failed to compile, and dynamag which was even worse.  Any suggestions?  We will be purchasing a large monitor that will be set to a lower resolution, but is there a software solution?
>
> Sincerely,
> Dave Hopkins
> Newark Charter School
> Newark Delaware 19713

See http://www.magnifiers.org/links/Screen_Magnifiers/UNIX_Linux/

The following (with links) are listed:

     * Puff  - Puff is a simple screen magnifier utility for UNIX
X/Windows, that with some changes in the code and rebuild the program,
also runs on Linux.  new (Added: 25-Sep-2004 Hits: 430 Rating: 0 Votes:
0) Rate It

     * DynaMag - DynaMag is a simple screen magnifier utility for UNIX
and Linux included in the UnWindows package. The UnWindows package is a
set of utilities to help people with low vision accessing the UNIX
operating system. (Added: 22-Sep-1999 Hits: 715 Rating: 8.00 Votes: 1)
Rate It

     * GMag - GMag is an free X magnifier that should be more useful for
the visually-impaired than the currently existing alternatives. Main
features are:
           o continuous magnification while you work;
           o optionally changes the contrast of the image;
           o run-time configurable
       (Added: 30-Nov-2000 Hits: 793 Rating: 0 Votes: 0) Rate It

     * Gnopernicus - Gnopernicus is a project to make the Linux GNome 2
user interface accessible to people with a disability.
       The Gnopernicus software will include braille, speech and
magnification. (Added: 22-Sep-2002 Hits: 387 Rating: 0 Votes: 0) Rate It

     * KMagnifier - Here you find information and the latest news about
KMagnifier, a magnification utility for the Linux K Desktop environment
(KDE). (Added: 12-Feb-2002 Hits: 485 Rating: 10.00 Votes: 1) Rate It

     * KZoom - KZoom is a KDE 2 graphical applications which can be used
to enlarge parts of your X Window desktop. It's a very handy tool and
various zooming controls along with easy of use make it suitable both
for professionals in webdesign and distractive toy for rest of us. KZoom
is distributed under the terms of GNU Public License. (Added: 4-Aug-2003
Hits: 208 Rating: 0 Votes: 0) Rate It

     * Linux Accessibility HOWTO - This is the place to start for
visually impaired looking for ways to access the Linux operating system.
You find very simple magnification utilities, Text-to-Speech programs,
screen readers and ways to enlarge the mouse cursor. programs, that
(Added: 23-Sep-2002 Hits: 316 Rating: 0 Votes: 0) Rate It

     * Quax - Quax is a very small Qt graphical application which can be
used to enlarge parts of your X Window desktop. It's mainly targeted at
web designers and graphic artists, but it's very easy to use by any
other user. Quax home page is located at: http://www.ro.kde.org/quax/.
Quax is released under the terms of GNU public license. (Added:
4-Aug-2003 Hits: 117 Rating: 0 Votes: 0) Rate It

     * Tested: Linux magnifiers - Bas Cancrinus tested the screen
magnifier utilities for Linux, that you can find in the UNIX Linux
download category (Added: 5-Jan-2001 Hits: 525 Rating: 0 Votes: 0) Rate It

     * UNIX and Linux Software Toolkit - The UNIX and Linux Software
Toolkit from Trace Research & Developement Center is a collection of
freeware and shareware utilities that helps sight impaired people
accessing the UNIX and Linux operating system.
       Here you find also information how to get the magnifier utilities
Puff and DynaMag run on Linux. (Added: 22-Sep-1999 Hits: 423 Rating: 0
Votes: 0) Rate It

--
Anthony Baldwin
http://www.School-Library.net