[K12OSN] Remote X Session from Windows XP Client

Luke Maslany l.maslany at jmc.ac.uk
Tue Sep 28 11:58:08 UTC 2004

I'm a network engineer (in title, if not in pay...) at a small FE/HE
college and I have been tasked with introducing Linux to the student
network.  While I have successfully managed to get a Linux box up and
working (with quite a bit of help from this list!), it would appear that
the tutors would prefer a graphical interface, rather than the nice
command line I have provided them with.

At present, we use RIS to deploy Microsoft images to the workstations,
so changing the DHCP settings to boot from an LTSP box is not really
viable.  In addition, I am reluctant to let students boot from removable
media, so floppy disks (and equivalents) are also ruled out.

Until I manage to convince everyone to try a wholesale move to Linux, I
am looking for a solution to allow users to run a remote X session from
within Windows XP.

Any help or advice on were to find such information (or even a detailed
step-by-step guide!) would be very much appreciated.

Luke Maslany

Luke Maslany
Network Engineer
Josiah Mason College